- Butler University (B.A., 1989)
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law - Indianapolis (J.D., 1992)
Nikki Gray Shoultz
Nikki Shoultz is a partner in the Utility Group and a member of the Renewable Energy Group, representing clients with energy, telecommunications, technology, e-commerce, wind, water, and sewer matters. Ms. Shoultz also sits on the firm's Pro Bono Committee. Prior to entering private practice, Ms. Shoultz served for four years with the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission as Chief Administrative Law Judge, General Counsel, and Assistant General Counsel.
Ms. Shoultz has assisted landowners, developers, municipalities and utilities with power supply agreements, easements, zoning and service territory disputes, water and sewer capacity issues, contract disputes, main extension agreements, Conservancy District Act, annexation, and real estate transactions. She has appeared in state and federal court and lobbied before the Indiana General Assembly on a number of utility related issues. Ms. Shoultz served as counsel for the City of Indianapolis in its contested acquisition of the Indianapolis Water Company before the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission.
Ms. Shoultz serves as co-chair of the Indiana Wind Working Group's policy committee, which is a multi-stakeholder effort to examine wind energy issues and demonstrate the State of Indiana's proactive approach to wind power development. Ms. Shoultz has worked with various wind farm developers and landowners in negotiating contracts for the siting of wind turbines, and has served as Indiana counsel in wind farm financing matters. Ms. Shoultz understands how to efficiently navigate the complexities of wind farm development including permitting, zoning, landowner easement, municipal ordinance drafting, taxation, and environmental compliance issues. Ms. Shoultz also counsels clients on state and federal issues such as production tax credits, access to the transmission grid and renewable portfolio standards.
Ms. Shoultz also serves as Indiana counsel for several national telecommunications carriers and has extensive experience litigating complex telecommunications issues including carrier-to-carrier and competition related disputes, state and federal universal service fund obligations, slamming, Federal Communications Commission issues and matters affecting the payphone industry. Ms. Shoultz counsels clients on e-commerce matters including privacy issues; domain name purchasing, licensing, registration & disputes; website hosting, maintenance, content & security; search engine positioning; and internet commerce technology issues.
Honors / Awards
• 2009 Distinguished Barrister, Indiana Lawyer's Leadership in Law
• The Best Lawyers in America® (2008-2013)
• Indiana Super Lawyers® (2012-2013)
• Order of the Barristers, Indiana University School of Law Indianapolis (1991)
• Jessup International Law Moot Court Team (1991)
Appearances / Publications
Speaker/Presenter: "Energy Law Nuisance Litigation" (ICLEF, February 2011); "The Winds of Change: Wind Leases in Indiana" (ICLEF, November 2010); "Indiana Wind Energy - Legal Issues" (Indiana State Bar Association - Utility Law Section, October 2009)
Author: "Competition: A Dream Without Further Action" (Indianapolis Business Journal)
Appointments / Memberships
• Federal Energy Bar Association (2011)
• Indiana Wind Working Group (co-chair, Policy Committee, 2008-present)
• Indiana State Bar Association (officer - Utilities Section, Energy 2010; Telecommunications 2005);
• American Public Communications Council (2000 - present)
• Indiana Municipal Lawyers Association (present)
• Indy Reads (president, 2008; board member, 2005-2010)
• Girls Inc. of Greater Indianapolis (board member, 2005-2010)
• We The People (Mentor at Plainfield High School, 2010-11 academic year)
• College Mentors for Kids (board member, 2012; participant in Professional Career Hour, November 2010)
• Hanover College Center for Business Preparation (Leadership Council; Leadership Series Committee)
• Plainfield Tri Kappa Philanthropic Society (2003-present; president, 2011; chair, Children's Theater Workshop 2005-2007)
• Plainfield United Methodist Church Board of Trustees (2008-2009); Children's Council Chair (2010)
• 500 Festival Volunteer (2001)