John A. Millspaugh
John Millspaugh is a partner in the Business Services Group. His practice is focused on complex transactional matters such as mergers and acquisitions; venture capital, private equity, debt and other financing transactions; joint ventures and strategic alliances; product development and supply agreements; antitrust matters; and other general corporate and contract matters for national and international corporations. He regularly provides business and finance counsel, in addition to legal counsel, to entrepreneurial businesses ranging in size from start-ups to Fortune 500 companies. Mr. Millspaugh also has experience representing clients in federal regulatory matters before the U.S. Department of Energy and the U.S. Department of Commerce. He has significant experience in domestic and cross-border deals, and is skilled in structuring transactions, supervising deal teams, drafting agreements and negotiating effectively while maintaining collegiality.
University of Michigan Law School (J.D. 1996)
Ball State University (B.A., summa cum laude, 1993)
Honors / Awards
Included in The Best Lawyers in America® 2007-2017 (Venture Capital Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Corporate Law and Biotechnology Law); Indiana Super Lawyers® 2011-2018 (Mergers and Acquisitions); Chambers USA 2016 (Corporate – Mergers and Acquisitions); AV® Peer Review rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Represented publicly held communications company in domestic and international purchases and sales of television and radio stations (including radio network acquisitions in Slovakia and Poland).
- Represented several start-up and growth companies in securing venture capital and debt financing.
- Represented Fortune 500 company in negotiation of venture capital placement transactions.
- Represented international consumer electronics company in negotiation of multi-year component manufacturing and supply agreement with satellite television company.
- Represented U.S. software development company in negotiation of license and development agreement for telecommunications infrastructure software with international telecommunications company.
- Represented multinational health products manufacturer in connection with multiple joint ventures and strategic alliances.
- Represented Midwestern agricultural product company in connection with establishment of Brazilian manufacturing joint venture.
- Represented National Football League franchise in negotiating and drafting of stadium naming rights agreement.
- Represented Midwestern chemical company in acquisition of Texas specialty chemicals business from founders, and subsequent sale to Fortune 500 company.
Appearances / Publications
Author: “High-Tech Acquisitions, Merger Raise Concerns”, (Indiana Lawyer, 2001); “Invention and Nondisclosure Agreements: Protecting Business Information and Workplace Innovation,” (Smart Business Indianapolis, 2004), “The JOBS Act – Big Changes for Capital Formation and Public Company Reporting Compliance“; “Confidentiality Agreements Between Competitors and Proof that Purpose Provisions Actually Work”, (Indiana Manufacturers Association Executive Memo, 2013).
Frequent blogger on The Bose Corporate and M&A Blog.
Appointments / Memberships
Indiana State and Indianapolis Bar Associations; Indiana Chamber of Commerce (Board Member); Indy Chamber (Top Investor Events); The Cabaret at the Columbia Club (Former Board of Director); Alpha Tau Omega National Board of Directors; Alpha Tau Omega Alumni Association; Accelerent (Indianapolis Chapter)
Areas of Emphasis
- Business Services /
- Commercialization and Technology Transfer /
- Corporate Governance /
- Entrepreneurial Services /
- International Business Transactions /
- International Group /
- Licensing and Other IP Transactions /
- Mergers and Acquisitions /
- Public Offerings and Securities Regulation /
- Sports, Entertainment and Media /
- Venture Capital and Private Equity