Beginning September 15, 2015, Indiana taxpayers have a two-month window to apply for Indiana’s Tax Amnesty 2015. Tax liabilities to the State of Indiana for periods through 2012 are eligible for the program. Almost 40 different types of tax liabilities qualify for tax amnesty, including income tax, sales and use tax, and withholding tax. A grant of tax amnesty results in taxpayers only paying the past-due base tax amounts. Interest charges, penalties and collections fees are waived upon a grant of amnesty.
Taxpayer eligibility includes only those taxpayers who did not participate in the 2005 amnesty program. Participation requires that taxpayers pay the base tax due in full, and in the manner and time established by the Department of Revenue. Additionally, taxpayers taking advantage of the program must waive all rights to protest the base tax amount, and will not be allowed to later file a claim for refund for the taxes paid. Taxpayers who do not participate in the tax amnesty program will be assessed an additional 10% penalty in addition to the penalty previously imposed on the base tax amounts owed, effectively doubling the penalty amount.
- Tax Amnesty 2015 is limited-time opportunity to clean up tax liabilities at a reduced cost
- Tax Amnesty 2015 is only available from September 15 – November 16, 2015
- Eligibility is open to any taxpayer who has never participated in a prior Indiana tax amnesty program
- Liabilities up to and including 2012 are eligible
- Payment plans can run through June 15, 2016
- Upon payment of all tax liabilities through the amnesty program, a taxpayer who is then current on all tax filings and payments can apply to have prior tax warrants expunged
- Failure to participate when eligible will result in the imposition of double penalties
Should you have further questions concerning this opportunity or if you needs assistance in seeking the special relief available from the Indiana Department of Revenue, please contact Kevin Halloran, Wes Overturf, Donald Meyer or any attorney in the Bose McKinney & Evans LLP Tax Group.