Webinar – Spooky, Scary, Eerie and Ghastly: The Form I-9 Risk Lurking in Your Filing Cabinet
Wednesday, October 28, 2020
9am – 10:30 a.m. (EST)
Zoom information will be sent to attendees after registration.
Employers are required to complete the Form I-9 for all new hires in the U.S., regardless of immigration status. The deceptively “simple” two-page form, for many employers, represents significant risk. Paperwork violations, even if an employer’s entire workforce is made up of authorized workers, can give rise to fines in excess of $2,300 per employee. More serious violations can result in criminal prosecution and imprisonment.
This webinar will, among other topics, cover:
- The Thursday rule: deadlines for Form I-9 completion
- The “melbox” rule: how to spot a fraudulent document
- Electronic I-9 rules: audit trails, electronic signatures, indexing, the difference between the I-9 and E-Verify, and more
- COVID-19 rules: remote versus virtual I-9 completion, required updates
- Document rules: hospital-issued birth certificates; metal, laminated, restricted, and/or unsigned Social Security cards; unsigned passports; expired documents during COVID; and more
- Constructive knowledge and due diligence requirements relating to Social Security “no match” letters, unemployment inquiries, and hot line tips
- E-Verify rules: including the new 10-day Tentative Nonconfirmation rule announced by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services in October 2020
The webinar will include time for a Q&A session with Nici Kersey.
Please contact Kelley Terrill at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.