On Wednesday, December 22, 2021, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine signed into law House Bill 29, which, among other things, legalized in-person, online and mobile sports betting in the State of Ohio. The signature marked a long-awaited outcome for Ohioans and the gaming industry alike.

Also triggered by the Governor’s signature on the bill was the rulemaking process to be undertaken by the Ohio Casino Control Commission (the “OCCC”), the regulatory body that has been designated to oversee sports betting throughout the state. It’s expected to be several months – likely late spring or summer of 2022 – before the agency is in a position to begin the process of accepting license applications for corporate entities and individuals associated with sports wagering in Ohio.

The OCCC will now undertake the process of writing the rules that will govern such licensees and sports wagering activity in the State of Ohio. Unlike its neighboring states, Ohio retail sports wagering can be offered in certain non-casino brick and mortar locations, including bars and sports venues. The state has implemented a standard 10 percent tax on net revenues, which is predicted by the State’s Legislative Service Commission to generate well into the millions of dollars after several years of full operation – 98 percent of which will be allocated to K-12 education, and the remaining 2 percent of which will go toward addressing problem gambling.

The Gaming Group at Bose McKinney & Evans was a part of the legislative process to legalize sports wagering in the State of Ohio, and has extensive experience in gaming legal, regulatory, and licensing matters, and working with the OCCC. We are here to answer questions about how to begin the process in Ohio and look forward to assisting our clients in navigating this jurisdiction.