Connect on LinkedIn
Jeff Halbert is a partner in the Labor and Employment, Automotive, and Business Groups of Bose McKinney & Evans. Jeff has extensive experience litigating all forms of labor and employment matters throughout Indiana and surrounding states. He also practices before numerous state and federal agencies, including but not limited to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Indiana Civil Rights Commission, the National Labor Relations Board, the United States Department of Labor and the Indiana Department of Labor.
His practice covers the spectrum of employment litigation, including both state and federal claims, and individual and class action suits. He has handled cases involving claims of race, age, disability, national origin, religious and sex discrimination, as well as sexual harassment, retaliatory discharge, wage and hour, FMLA, ERISA, and non-compete/restrictive covenant issues. Jeff’s practice covers several different industries and sectors with a focus on automobile and RV dealerships.
Jeff has published numerous articles on various employment related topics over the course of his career. In addition to his litigation practice, he also routinely counsels management on a variety of employment issues including issue avoidance, employee handbooks and policies, employment contracts, and employee discipline. He also routinely conducts employee and management training seminars for clients and human resources professionals including the following topics:
- Employee Restrictive Covenants
- Social Media in the Workplace
- Wage and Hour Compliance
- Maintaining a Harassment Free Workplace
- EEOC Investigations
- Harassment and Non-Discrimination
- The Family and Medical Leave Act
- The Americans with Disabilities Act
- Maintaining a Union Free Workplace
Ohio Northern University Claude W. Petit College of Law (J.D.)
Clarion University of Pennsylvania (B.S. in history)
Honors / Awards
Indiana Super Lawyers® – Rising Stars Edition (2011 – 2014, Labor and Employment); Indianapolis Bar Distinguished Fellow (2015-present)
- Telematrix, LLC v. Techcom, Inc. et al. (Marion Superior Court, 2007). This case involved claims of violations of the IUTSA, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, conversion, and tortious interference with contractual/business relationships. After a five day bench trial, judgment was entered for defendants.
- Auto Sales & Service, Inc. et al. v. 4OR Automotive Group, Inc. d/b/a Budget Car Sales & Leasing, Inc. et al. (Marion Superior Court, 2010). This case involved claims by various auction houses claiming breach of contract, conversion and personal liability which stemmed from the theft by the clients’ former general manager of approximately $750,000. The former general manager was convicted of theft and received a three year sentence in a separate criminal matter. A judgment was entered for defendants.
- Colo’n v. Indiana Downs (U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, New Albany Division, 2010). This case involved claims of alleged racial discrimination, racial harassment and retaliation in violation of Title VII brought by a former mutuel teller at one of the client’s off-track betting operations. Judgment was unanimously entered in favor of the defendant.
- Ella Martin v. Stoops Buick GMC, Inc. (U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, Indianapolis Division 2016). This case involved claims of alleged national origin and religious discrimination, among others brought by a former accounting employee of the client. Judgment was unanimously entered in favor of the defendant.
- Karla Edson v. Dreyer & Reinbold, Inc. (U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana, Indianapolis Division 2017). This case involved claims of alleged disability discrimination in violation of the ADA and violations of the FMLA brought by a former appointment coordinator of the client. Judgment was unanimously entered in favor of the defendant.
- Giema v. Bosak Motor Sales, Inc. (Jasper Circuit Court January 2019). This case involved claims of alleged fraud, conversion, theft and negligence against both the client and several of its employees under Indiana law. Directed verdict was entered for all defendants.
Appointments / Memberships
Indianapolis Bar Association (IBA), the Society of Human Resource Management and the National Association of Dealer Counsel. Jeff is a past chairman of the IBA Labor and Employment Section Executive Committee.