Nikki Gray Shoultz
Nikki Shoultz is a partner in the Utility Group. Nikki represents utilities, energy industry stakeholders, municipalities, large industrial and commercial energy consumers, landowners, and developers in state and federal regulatory proceedings, litigation, and private business transactions. She has more than twenty years of experience representing clients with energy, telecommunications, technology, wind, solar, water and sewer matters. Prior to entering private practice, Nikki served for four years with the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission as Chief Administrative Law Judge, general counsel, and assistant general counsel.
Nikki’s career highlights include:
- Prevailing in a proceeding that approved a new rate structure for large industrial customers, allowing access to the wholesale market for power, which identified up to $60 million per year in savings for large industrial customers.
- Intervening in a regulatory proceeding that would have shifted $45 million in costs to retail customers related to their wholesale power operations. The shift in cost was eliminated, which reduced the power cost to retail customers.
- Saving a large, publicly-traded industrial company $14 million a year by negotiating advantageous electric rates for its manufacturing facilities.
- Prevailing in a multi-million dollar contractual dispute on behalf of an electric provider with more than a billion dollars in assets.
- Serving as counsel for the City of Indianapolis in its highly contested, yet ultimately successful, acquisition of the Indianapolis Water Company.
- Efficiently navigating several national telecommunications carriers through complex regulatory issues, including carrier-to-carrier and competition related disputes, state and federal universal service fund obligations, slamming investigations, and matters affecting the payphone industry.
- Consulting with clients on wind and solar renewable energy project development from start to finish, including financing, siting, real estate, permitting, taxation, environmental compliance, transmission access, and renewable portfolio standards.
- Advising numerous clients on cogeneration arrangements including interconnection agreements, coordination with MISO/PJM/NERC and transmission facilities.
- Lobbying and testifying before the Indiana General Assembly on a number of utility related issues on behalf of clients and as President of the Indiana State Bar Association’s Utility Law Section.
Butler University (B.A., 1989)
Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law – Indianapolis (J.D., 1992)
Honors / Awards
• Best Lawyers® Indianapolis Communications Law Lawyer of the Year (2014, 2016, 2021)
• 2009 Distinguished Barrister, Indiana Lawyer‘s Leadership in Law
• The Best Lawyers in America® (2008-2021)
• Indiana Super Lawyers® (2012-2015)
• AV® Peer Review rated by Martindale-Hubbell
• Order of the Barristers, Indiana University School of Law Indianapolis (1991)
• Jessup International Law Moot Court Team (1991)
Appearances / Publications
Speaker/Presenter: “Wind Energy in Indiana Update” (Energy Bar Association Midwest Chapter Annual Meeting, Local Opposition to Wind Farms session, 2018); “Energy Law In Indiana Update” (ICLEF, 2018); “Energy Saving$ Strategie$ (Indiana Chamber Energy Management Conference, August 2013); “Energy Law Nuisance Litigation” (ICLEF, February 2011); “The Winds of Change: Wind Leases in Indiana” (ICLEF, November 2010); “Indiana Wind Energy – Legal Issues” (Indiana State Bar Association – Utility Law Section, October 2009)
Author: “Will Indiana’s Economy Cool Due to Rising Energy Costs?” (Indiana Lawyer article, August 2013); “An Opportunity to Shrink Your Energy Bill?” (Indiana Manufacturer’s Association electronic newsletter article, May 2013); “Competition: A Dream Without Further Action” (Indianapolis Business Journal)
Appointments / Memberships
- Federal Energy Bar Association (2011 – present); Annual Meeting Planning Committee member, Midwest Chapter (2016-2017); board member, Midwest Chapter (2017 – present)
- Indiana State Bar Association (Utility Law Section chair, 2015-2016; Energy Division chair, 2013-2014; Communications Division chair, 2005-2006)
- Indiana Municipal Lawyers Association (present)
- Bose McKinney & Evans Pro Bono Committee and Associates Committee Chair (current)
- Indiana Wind Working Group (Policy Committee co-chair, 2008-2011)
- College Mentors for Kids (vice chairperson, 2013 – present; board member, 2012 – present; participant in Professional Career Hour, 2010)
- Plainfield Tri Kappa Philanthropic Society (2003 – present; president, 2011-2013; Children’s Theater Workshop chair, 2005-2007)
- Plainfield United Methodist Church (Council chair, 2017 – present; Board of Trustees, 2008-2009; Children’s Council chair, 2010)
- Indy Reads (president, 2008; board member, 2005-2010)
- Girls Inc. of Greater Indianapolis (board member, 2005-2010)
- We The People (mentor at Plainfield High School, 2010-2011, 2012-2013, 2017-2018 academic years)
- Hanover College Center for Business Preparation (Leadership Council; Leadership Series Committee)
- 500 Festival Volunteer (2001)
AdmissionsIndiana, United States District Court for the Northern District of Indiana, United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
Areas of Emphasis
- Administrative Law /
- Clean Energy: Renewables, Alternative Energy and Green Power /
- Colleges and Universities /
- E-Commerce /
- Education /
- Electricity /
- Governmental Services /
- Green Initiatives and Sustainability /
- Municipalities /
- Natural Gas /
- Renewable Energy /
- Solar Energy /
- State and Local Government /
- Telecommunications /
- Utilities /
- Wastewater /
- Water /