Scott Tarter is a partner in the Business Services Group and Sports, Entertainment and Media Group, and is chair of the International Group. Scott serves a lead counsel for significant mergers and acquisitions transactions and also assists businesses and individuals with general corporate and legal advice, international joint ventures and business transactions, general business planning and advice, contracts, employment matters, and shareholder issues and disputes. He assists U.S. based companies with establishing international sourcing and supply relationships, distribution networks, and foreign subsidiaries or affiliated operations, and works with foreign-owned businesses operating in the U.S., including the establishment and development of U.S. subsidiaries and affiliated offices. He also works with new and emerging companies to form and structure their businesses and develop growth strategies. In addition, he is a member of the Indianapolis, Indiana State and American Bar Associations.
Indiana University Maurer School of Law – Bloomington (J.D., 1988)
DePauw University (B.A., 1984)
Honors / Awards
Indiana Super Lawyers® 2007-2012 (Business/Corporate/International Law); AV® Peer Review rated by Martindale-Hubbell; Advocate of the Year (Indiana Academy of Ophthalmology, 1997)
• Lead counsel to Companhia Siderúrgica Nacional, S.A., a Brazilian steel manufacturer, in the $400 million sale of its U.S. steel processing affiliate to Steel Dynamics, Inc.
• Lead counsel to E&A Companies in the sale of its portfolio company Con-Tech Lighting to Leviton.
• Lead counsel to Udi’s Healthy Foods LLC in the sale of its capital stock to Smart Balance, Inc.
• Lead counsel to Hahn Systems in the sale of its ownership interests to Descours & Cabaud.
• Lead counsel to Dallara Automobili, S.p.A., an Italian race car manufacturer and high performance automobile engineering company, in connection with the construction and location of its US racing car factory in Speedway, Indiana.
• Lead counsel to a global manufacturer of luxury shampoos, soaps and body lotions offered in upscale hotels and resorts around the world in the sale of the company, including its operations in the United States and Great Britain, to a U.S. private equity group based in California.
• Lead counsel to Car Bright, Inc., a manufacturer of professional automotive conditioning products, in the sale of its assets, including its operations in Great Britain, to Ashland/Valvoline.
• Lead U.S. counsel in the joint venture formation of a successful Australian/U.S. professional motorsports team.
• Assisted with the business planning, formation and establishment of a U.S. distribution system for an Australian winery.
• Lead counsel to Createc Corporation, a leading provider of specialty foam products, in the sale of its business to Protexic Brands, a strategic business unit of Tegrant Corporation.
• Lead counsel to Dynaloy, LLC, a specialty chemical business, in the sale of its assets to Eastman Chemical Company.
Appearances / Publications
Scott has participated in numerous speaking engagements and training seminars for clients covering various corporate and business topics. He has also appeared as a guest on Inside Indiana Business.
Appointments / Memberships
Founder and CEO: Dropping Dimes Foundation, Inc., a non-profit 501(c)(3) charity that assists former pro basketball players from the 1967-1976 American Basketball Association.
Member: Indiana State (Business Law and International Law Sections) Bar Association; Indiana Bar Foundation (fellow); Board of Directors Executive Committee of Indy Partnership (2013 – present); Indiana Chapter, Mackrell International Sports and Entertainment Practice Group (co-chair, 2018 – present); Association for Corporate Growth; World Trade Club of Indiana; Butler Business School for Lawyers (2012); Delta Upsilon Educational Foundation, Inc. (Board of Trustees and Executive Committee member, 1998 – 2004).