Top Ranked in Communications Law by U.S. News Media Group and Best Lawyers®.
The world of communications changes at a rapid, exciting pace. In the decades since the enactment of the Telecommunications Act of 1996, competition has emerged; Americans have developed a growing dependence on internet access; and the majority of our citizens now live in wireless-only households. The attorneys in our Telecommunications and Broadband Group have been in the trenches of communication regulation, litigation and planning since the inception of the Act, helping clients navigate rapid change.
Access to high-speed internet service is essential as the demand for working, learning, meeting and shopping online increases. We have assisted local Indiana communities and broadband providers in the deployment of fiber networks aimed at bringing Gigabyte speed fiber-to-the-premise service to citizens and businesses. Our work has included:
- Drafting Requests for Proposals, Requests for Information
- Assisting clients in identifying potential communications service provider partners
- Evaluating the broadband needs and pricing constructs for community fiber projects
- Negotiating contracts for fiber network deployment
- Advising clients on strategies to incentivize rapid fiber deployment
- Assisting clients in the financial and bonding aspects of community projects
People living in rural areas often have difficulty accessing the internet and rural broadband deployment is critical. Indiana’s rural electric and telecommunications providers are teaming up to deploy broadband to rural areas using their own investment and funds from Indiana’s NextLevel grant and the federal Rural Digital Operation Fund (RDOF). With extensive experience representing both electric and telecommunications utilities, our attorneys represent clients seeking to use rural electrification to deploy rural broadband and bridge the digital divide. We assist clients with joint venture formation, certifications from the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission and federal regulatory compliance.
Our attorneys have broad and deep experience with telecommunications issues, including:
- Communication Service Provider state certification and compliance
- Wireless tower negotiations
- Pole attachment disputes
- Carrier-to-Carrier disputes and interconnection agreement litigation
- Right-of-way and eminent domain
- Lifeline and Universal Service Fund regulation
- Intercarrier compensation
- Customer disputes
Our broadband and telecommunication attorneys have been named as Best Lawyers® Indianapolis Communication Lawyer of the Year; have held senior positions with the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission; represented several major national wireless and facilities-based carriers for decades; drafted telecommunication legislation and testified before the Indiana General Assembly; and have deep relationships across the communications industry.